POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Crypt updated : Re: Crypt updated Server Time
27 Sep 2024 01:20:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crypt updated
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 Aug 2024 10:56:05
Message: <66c0ba05$1@news.povray.org>
Op 16-8-2024 om 19:57 schreef Chris R:
>> Op 15-8-2024 om 15:23 schreef Chris R:
>>> I made a number of updates to the scene to make it a bit more interesting:
>>>      - The crown is more distinct now
>>>      - The marble for the altar is more sophisticated
>>>      - There is a cloth hanging over the center of the altar
>>>      - Added an incense censer and the monstrance on the altar
>>>      - Added a depression in the hallway floor and allowed water to seep into it
>>>

>> Very good scene indeed!
>>
>> I have a couple of questions/comments:
>>
>> - I had not realised that there was a staircase in the background; I
>> thought it was a wall. I would like to see a bit of perspective but that
>> would be difficult because of the camera position. However, except for
>> the somewhat wider bottom step which can be observed on both sides of
>> the altar cloth and which appears to be lower, the other individual
>> steps seem to high to me. If I translate them to the height of a person
>> coming down to the crypt, he/she would not be able to stand upright I am
>> afraid. And that would be in contradiction with the height of the altar.
>> I may be wrong of course.
>>
>> - The ground around the altar is tiled, not so the floor towards the
>> camera. Intentional?
>>
>> - The base of the walls are not directly connecting with the floor and
>> show a narrow zone of "something", as if the floor was not finished
>> there or too narrow. Under the arc, the floor connects, but is again not
>> wide enough towards the side "chapels" for the tombs. This looks a bit
>> "unfinished" to me...
>>
>> - Torches but no smoke at all?  ;-)
>>
>> - Not really an issue, but the flames seem to one single flame media (?)
>> copied to all torches.
>>

>> --
>> Thomas
>
> The keen eye...

<grin>

> The attached picture has moved the viewpoint closer to the stairs to give a
> better view of how they are constructed.  Beyond the arch, the ceiling above the
> steps is significantly higher and/or is open to the sky.  You might have to
> crouch a bit to get under the arch...

Yes, indeed. I see it now.

> The difference in the flooring in the altar area and the rest of the crypt is
> intentional.  The crypt I modeled this after was arranged that way.  And yes,
> the walls and the raised section of the floor do not meet consistently.  The
> real crypt had a sort of French drain around the edges, but some of the arches
> overlapped.  I assume the drain went under them?  That's how I modeled it,
> anyway.

No problem then. I like the idea of a kind of drain. Possibly there have
some rebuilding when the drains were partly covered.

> The only randomness I provided in the media for the flames was a rotation.  The
> flame shapes come from playing with turbulence in the media density.  I didn't
> spend a lot of time coming up with ways to vary that and maintain something
> vaguely flame-like.

No problem. I only mentioned it because I was looking real closely to them.

> I played around with smoke for the incense censer, but it doesn't who well at
> all, especially in this view.  I have to play around with it some more in the
> torch flames.  I had added a second media to represent the smoke, but it's
> probably just not thick enough given the brightness of the flame media.

Yes, I do understand the problem with this. In fact, it is not a big
issue to have no smoke as such, and I wondered if you had tried
something yet in that direction.

Again, excellent scene and impressive modelling!

--
Thomas