POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Shadows and lighting with HDR sky : Re: Shadows and lighting with HDR sky Server Time
19 Apr 2024 06:02:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shadows and lighting with HDR sky
From: Alain Martel
Date: 29 Sep 2021 11:57:25
Message: <61548ce5$1@news.povray.org>

> There isn't much more shadow even with error_bound 0.01. What it does is that it
> changes the pattern on the left side of the cube.
>
> The sun is near the horizon in the hdri.

I do see a shadow to the right of the box. In fact, there are two, one
faint and soft, in line with the front face, and a darker and sharper

I NEVER use the default pretrace_end. The largest I commonly use is
0.005. I often use half or even a quarter of that for the final rendering.
It takes more time for the pretrace step, but, as more samples are taken
during that phase, the render proper is often faster as it don't need to
take as many extra samples.

I tend to set minimum_reuse a bit smaller than the pretrace_end.
Something like :

pretrace_end 0.005
minimum_reuse 0.004

pretrace_end 0.0025
minimum_reuse 0.002

or

pretrace_end 0.00125
minimum_reuse 0.0012

I also tend to keep the maximum_reuse at it's default value.

I usually use the sampling pool feature :
count 100 100*pi

And also the adaptive sampling :
nearest_count 20 3