POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A head full of hair : Re: A head full of hair Server Time
18 Apr 2024 22:14:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A head full of hair
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 25 Sep 2021 04:27:09
Message: <614edd5d$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.52dff97746aac96b7a3e03fe0@news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=391452

>> &moff=21
>>>
>>> I took up Robert McGregor's code to see how it could be tweaked to
>>> obtain a nice haircut.
>>
>> I love this-- especially with all the hair shadows falling over the
>> face. No
>> fakery there!
>>
>> I'm curious: In the news thread you mentioned (or maybe an offshoot of
>> it), one
>> of the ideas was to color each hair along its individual curl, like
>> uv-mapping,
>> using some clever code. I can't really discern that effect from your
>> posted
>> render, but did you do that as well?
>>
> Hmm, good question. Each mesh2 hair is uv-mapped by meshmaker when
> created, and the pigment is uv-mapped on the mesh2... so, that seems to
> be happening indeed. I shall come back about this later as I do not have
> the code at hand at the moment. What I can say though: meshmaker is your
> friend! Last year, I used it for converting parametric grass blades (Uwe
> Gleiss: Lawnmaker) to mesh2 blades.

Checked. Yes the individual mesh2 hairs are uv-mapped by SweepSpline.inc
(Mike Williams) which uses makemesh.inc (Ingo Janssen) to build and
write the files. All this is present in the original scene file by
Robert McGregor. I did not change anything in there, except for the hair
pigment.

Later in the discussion, I suggested to increase render speed by
texturing the whole union of meshes instead of the individual hairs, but
as I added, that would result in a far less interesting hairdo.

--
Thomas