POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Alum : Re: Alum Server Time
24 Apr 2024 11:42:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Alum
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 21 Sep 2021 11:42:44
Message: <6149fd74$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/19/21 7:09 PM, Samuel B. wrote:
> Here's the source code (minus luminous bloom):

Cool. Thank you for posting the code.

I used your scene to do a little crude bench-marking of my povr branch.

To create the attached image, I changed:

#declare RGBSun = srgb 1.3*<2, 1.99, 1.97>;

#declare RGBSun = srgb <1, 0.99, 0.97>;
#declare RGBSun = 2.7*RGBSun;

because my povr branch now doesn't allow srgb channel specifications
outside the 0-1 range.

Plus, I changed the crystal's normal to the povr branch's quilted normal
- but still scaled very small - and aiming for a blurred reflection.

Given you are using camera blur to over sample, I wanted to see how
povr's big jitter would compare time wise. The big jitter approach took
2.4x longer to render at +a0.0 +am2 +r4 +j62.111 than your blur samples
method of oversampling. I can tell from the render statistics I was too
aggressive at r4 - as I shot roughly 2.7x more rays. I'd say the mothods
are in the ballpark performance wise, with other differences in control
and result which might matter or not. FWIW.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'sam_.jpg' (47 KB)