POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Time for a Rant : Re: Time for a Rant Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time for a Rant
From: clipka
Date: 17 Aug 2021 12:56:24
Message: <611bea38$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.08.2021 um 12:35 schrieb Thorsten:
> On 17.08.2021 00:45, clipka wrote:
>> I haven't done a good old rant lately, have I?
>>
>> Well, this is the time, and this is the day.
>>
>> Speaking of which, did you know just what a clusterf*** time and date
>> related programming in C/C++ is? Or, as a matter of fact, in general?
>
> Well, guess why a date and time function never made it into POV-Ray
> before. I am pretty sure there was a patch around 20 or so years ago for
> this, with these, and a few more problems back then...

*Everything* was a clusterf*** of portability issues back then. Boost,
and later C++11, took care of a lot of that.

Unfortunately, the C++ standard committee only made a half-hearted
attempt at doing something about the date and time related stuff back then.

As a matter of fact I think C++20's functionality would make it
reasonably easy. But for a long-lived project like POV-Ray, requiring
C++20 now is at least half a decade too soon.