POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Time for a Rant : Re: Time for a Rant Server Time
23 Apr 2024 14:59:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Time for a Rant
From: clipka
Date: 17 Aug 2021 12:47:20
Message: <611be818$1@news.povray.org>
Am 17.08.2021 um 11:10 schrieb William F Pokorny:

> If you've not found it, there is a relatively popular C++ header only
> 'date.h' (and 'tz.*') for c++11/C++14/C++17. I looked at it briefly, but
> then bailed for a simpler c/unix only path.

Fun fact: "Slightly modified versions of "date.h" and "tz.h" were voted
into the C++20 working draft at the Jacksonville FL meeting on 2018-03-17"

So it can't be too terrible.

> Aside: What code analysis tool is picking up the thread safe issues for
> you?

That would be GitHub's CodeQL. What it actually does (among other
things) is pick up the use of functions that are deemed inherently unsafe.

So, for instance, if I were to build a wall of mutexes and lock guards
around the function, CodeQL would still bicker about it.

And rightly so, because even such a Fort Knox approach only works if
there's a guarantee that the functions aren't called from anywhere else.
So it's not the optimum approach.