POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Upgrading in the Third World : Re: Upgrading in the Third World Server Time
25 Apr 2024 10:52:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Upgrading in the Third World
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 13 Aug 2021 13:12:13
Message: <6116a7ed$1@news.povray.org>
On 2021-06-28 9:25 AM (-4), Cousin Ricky wrote:

> My operating system is past overdue for an upgrade, to the point where
> my Web clients refuse to upgrade themselves.  This has caused more than
> one website to complain, including GitHub.  But I have all the necessary
> OS upgrades downloaded and ready to go.
>
> Problem is the blackouts.

It turns out the bigger problem is my computer itself.  It refuses to
burn DVDs, it refuses to boot from bootable USB sticks, and it refuses
to even acknowledge bootable DVDs.  Instructions and advice from
openSUSE, from the GRUB documentation, and from Linux sites and forums
all over the Web do not work as advertised.  The computer blocks my
every attempt to upgrade anything.

I've managed to jury-rig a makeshift upgrade to Firefox so that I can
join GitHub, although the new setup did not import my old Firefox
environment.  This will at least allow me to proceed with Object
Collection module updates that didn't make it to Le Forgeron's mirror
prior to the POV server crash.  In the meantime, a new computer is on my
shopping list--one with a power supply that actually charges the battery.