POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Moving indoors : Re: Moving indoors Server Time
19 Apr 2024 18:12:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Moving indoors
From: clipka
Date: 6 Aug 2021 06:50:24
Message: <610d13f0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 05.08.2021 um 22:43 schrieb Chris R:

> The pool table is a bit too shiny, but I like the reflection of the store across
> the street.

It looks to me like you're not using `fresnel`.

You should. It's more realistic, and it should also mute the reflections
on the wood we're seeing head-on, while at the same time preserving the
reflections on the wood we're seeing at a shallow angle.

In real life, Fresnelian reflection applies not only to transparent
materials, but also to opaque ones (except metals - or, more
technically, non-dielectrics - which behave somewhat different). And
yes, such opaque materials also have an index of refraction. If you're
unsure about the applicable value, 1.5 works reasonably well for most
situations. The IOR of most opaque materials lies somewhere between 1.4
and 1.6.

The same goes for the pool balls, which also look unnatural to me now
that I've spent more time looking at them. The reflections on them
should also appear more muted where we're seeing the surface head-on, as
opposed to at an angle.