POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows XP compatibility : Re: Windows XP compatibility Server Time
20 Apr 2024 05:50:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows XP compatibility
From: clipka
Date: 24 Jul 2021 13:39:15
Message: <60fc5043$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.07.2021 um 15:16 schrieb Mr:

> I am surprised, we are not even talking about dropping windows XP or 32 bits
> compatibility, right?
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the POV core team contingent, does not seem so
> close from being as numerous and ressourcefull of a community as these ones. So
> it sounds reasonable to lower such maintenance burdens on existing developers
> temporarily to allow for a later regrowth of ubiquity which is indeed POV's
> strongest "selling points". If it does have to happen one day, Now is also a
> better time than ever to do such very mild support drops, one at a time, before
> POV 4 gets on the rails and too many breakage at once may feel hard.

The point is, currently there is no truly pressing need to ditch XP
support (or 32 bit, for that matter).

What we can do, for example, is to proceed as follows:

- Use VS 2019 for the binaries we distribute with the regular
installers, in hopes that it will give us the best in terms of
performance. This would make those binaries require at least Windows Vista.

- Use VS 2017 (which is the last version of Visual Studio that should be
capable of building XP-compatible binaries) for a separate set of
XP-compatible binaries, to be distributed in a separate installer.

Right now, we've encountered nothing more than a road bump trying to
compile cmedit.dll in an XP-compatible fashion.

Had the feedback to our question regarding XP been "...(crickets)...",
we might just have left it at that and not bothered to investigate any
further. Or maybe only later, after the official v3.8.0 release.

I'm sure it's not a major obstacle, just something somewhere not
entirely set up properly. Nobody has tried building the cmedit.dll since
v3.7.0.0, so it might just be something we happen to have borked in the
meantime.

Even if the problem should turn out to be something larger, there are
enough other options we could try. In the worst case, there's a clear
path of having XP users deal with a minor inconvenience most probably
wouldn't even notice, or possibly mistake for a feature.

(As a side note, the v3.8.0.beta.1 has been compiled with VS 2015, due
to some other road bump encountered also with respect to cmedit.dll)