POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Upgrading in the Third World : Upgrading in the Third World Server Time
23 Apr 2024 14:11:20 EDT (-0400)
  Upgrading in the Third World
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 28 Jun 2021 09:25:02
Message: <60d9cdae$1@news.povray.org>
Don't let the identity of my colonizer fool you.  In the U.S. Virgin
Islands in the 21st century, we still haven't quite figured out this
electricity thing.  Think Texas during an ice storm (including the
outrageous rates), except without the ice storm.

My operating system is past overdue for an upgrade, to the point where
my Web clients refuse to upgrade themselves.  This has caused more than
one website to complain, including GitHub.  But I have all the necessary
OS upgrades downloaded and ready to go.

Problem is the blackouts.  Lately we're getting multiple blackouts per
week, including 3 in a 24 hour period over the weekend.  These are not
planned rolling blackouts, and it has nothing to do with weather; the
utility just can't seem to keep the generators going.

This shit has been happening all my life.  Promises are made, and the
power just keeps failing.

So how do I begin to upgrade an operating system when the electricity
might cut out at any moment?  I don't trust the battery backup to last
long enough to complete the process.