POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Facebook 3D posts : Re: Facebook 3D posts Server Time
23 Apr 2024 22:35:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Facebook 3D posts
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 18 Jun 2021 00:10:57
Message: <60cc1cd1$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/17/2021 11:30 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On Facebook you can create 3D posts using an image and a depth map.
>
> Described here:
>
> https://www.facebook.com/help/414295416095269
>
> A couple of questions.
>
> Has anyone created a script to generate these?
>
> Does depth increase linearly? How deep are white and black supposed to
> be? Do these follow geometric rules?
>
> Thanks.

Thinking about it, blackness should be the inverse tangent of the
distance of an object from the camera. But what about the scale? How
much is 1 unit? I'm guessing the scale should be somehow related to the
distance between the viewer's eyes. It's also possible that the Facebook
plugin fudges all these numbers somehow in completely arbitrary ways.

Mike