POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : gamma issues 3.8 : Re: gamma issues 3.8 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 22:36:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: gamma issues 3.8
From: clipka
Date: 16 Jun 2021 12:26:31
Message: <60ca2637$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.06.2021 um 15:20 schrieb ingo:

> Now, I don't think we can just toss all that doesn't look right. But do we
> realy need all the old stuff? What's wrong with keeping a repository of
> those with the comment that they only look right when used with the
> equipment and settings the creator used.

What I'd really like to see is some esteemed members of the community
sticking their heads together, looking through the sample scenes, and
then deciding, on a case-by-case basis, how to proceed with the scene.

I'm okay with _deliberately_ keeping scenes as they are, I'm okay with
giving them a bit of a facelift, and I'm okay with giving them a major
overhaul. I can live with either of those approaches.

What really bugs me is that we've been dragging around outdated scenes
because nobody BOTHERS to take the time and give them some love and
care. Because it's easier to forget about it once again, and just go
ahead with the next release cycle.

DECIDING is the keyword in that sentence up there. If we leave the
scenes unchanged once again, I want that to be a deliberate DECISION.
Ideally for each and every individual scene.

If we want that to be done, NOW is the time to go into action, because
we're heading towards bundling them with binaries and saying "this is
it, these are the scenes we consider authoritative part of the official
release proper".

And no, I feel in no position to make such decisions. This is something
the people on the artistic end of the equation should have the last word
on, not some technical nerd like me who hasn't thrown together a single
scene for artistic purposes in ages.