POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : Granite_21 macro - beta #1.4 : Re: Granite_21 macro - beta #1.5 Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:53:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Granite_21 macro - beta #1.5
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 31 May 2021 02:53:43
Message: <60b487f7$1@news.povray.org>
Op 30/05/2021 om 14:51 schreef Bald Eagle:
>> OK. This is a /cleanup/ version of the granite macro, and associated
>> DakotaRedGranite.inc file.
>>
>> The following things need to be addressed (in no particular order):
>>
>> - A comprehensive demo scene file
>> - A comprehensive documentation
>> - An investigation/implementation of Real World dimensions (should have
>> started with that, but you know of it goes...)
>> - Additional xxxGranite.inc files to be fed to the macro
>
> Excellent.
>
> I got dragged into the distasteful task of fixing/replacing my old cell phone
> (swapping out the motherboard has got me 99% of the way there) and haven't had a
> chance to delve into this yet.
>
> Having written all of this, you would be the most knowledgeable about what to
> test / show off in a demo scene.

We shall see how it goes. I have number of test scenes running at the
moment. Still need some tweaking though.

> Depending on changes, documentation might not be comprehensive until it's all
> real-world tested-broken-fixed in the wild.

I agree.

> My (essentially new) phone with the granite photos is the one that suddenly and
> inexplicably died - I will see if I can still retrieve them.  Maybe the
> dimension should be a parameter...

That would be nice indeed.

granite in Canada (it was the one which most intrigued me) and found
that it is not a granite as such, but a monzonite (granitoid). Does not
matter much for our purpose; the mineral composition is different (less
than 5% quartz compared to granites).

> I will look, at fiddling with the inc file - as this is likely to drive the
> creation of all of the previous items.

Indeed. It is what I am going to do too in the coming days.

> Thanks for all of your expertise and industrious coding in this!
> I think it's pretty nice that we have some new patterns and materials that came
> out of this - relatively quickly - and hopefully a lot of the methods extend
> over to other materials.

Thank you indeed. It became a fascinating project I confess. I certainly
think it might generate spin-offs, either in the rock domain or in
others maybe.

> I will get 2nd coffee and begin reading...

...and I go food shopping now ;-)

--
Thomas