POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : clutter.mcr and trace() : Re: clutter.mcr and trace() Server Time
25 Apr 2024 09:18:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: clutter.mcr and trace()
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 17 May 2021 02:31:50
Message: <60a20dd6$1@news.povray.org>
Op 17/05/2021 om 07:12 schreef Mike Horvath:
> I am having trouble getting the `trace` function to detect intersections
> with a mesh object. Does `trace` not recognize meshes? Thanks!

It might... if the meshes are not well-behaving, for instance if the
normals of each mesh face are not /all/ consistently pointing outwards,
or if the mesh is not 'closed'. Mesh objects (especially when generated
by external programs and not POV-Ray) are notorious.

I would suggest to convert your meshes with Poseray to mesh2 objects
which are much better behaving than mesh objects. I tried to upload your
file as a whole into Poseray but it appears to be too big for the
program, so upload chunks of meshes separately. I am not sure if you can
put them together again afterwards as it is bad practice to edit mesh2
files manually, but you can put them in a union at least.

--
Thomas