POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : New f_vangle inbuilt with povr branch. : Re: New f_vangle inbuilt with povr branch. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:30:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New f_vangle inbuilt with povr branch.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 14 May 2021 06:22:24
Message: <609e4f60$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/13/21 11:24 PM, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>
> Nice work Bill!

Thanks. Today I'll be working through several git commits including this
work.

> It's good to be able to choose which formula to use for the angle calculation.
>
> But I'm struggling to see the usefulness of the VRotation() and VRotation()
> macros. I can not remember that I ever had the need to do the exact calculations
> they do. And if one understand the intricate explanation for how to use them,
> one is likely to do fine without them. Also there's to much work preparing for
> them.
>
> Perhaps someone can post code for a case where one of them is really useful ?

VRotation is used in Rune S. Johansen's Spline_Trans from
transforms.inc. I see that as the immediately significant one.

---
Searching through my archives turned up a couple more.

- Tim Atwood put out a spline_tools.inc - which looks quite similar to
Rune's code.

- Michael Andrews published a convhull.in which uses it.

All make use of VProject_Plane for the arguments. As to whether the
VRotation use was strictly needed...

I didn't turn up any use of VRotationD.

Bill P.