POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Server failure : Re: Server failure Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:29:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Server failure
From: Chris Cason
Date: 15 Mar 2021 11:12:50
Message: <604f7972@news.povray.org>
On 16/03/2021 01:24, Ash Holsenback wrote:
> On 3/15/21 10:00 AM, Chris Cason wrote:
>> It will take some time to audit all the PHP code for side-effects as
>> we've gone from PHP5 to PHP7 (plus all the database calls have to be
>> changed as the mysql driver was dropped in favor of mysqli in PHP7).
>
> i knew there would be some pain there... i suppose that's why i'm not
> getting any response from wiki yet.

That's a whole different kettle of fish, unfortunately. The wiki, texlib
and a few other things run in FreeBSD jails (an OS/process abstraction)
that have their own completely separate set of files (basically the
entire operating system). While I technically could try running them
as-is (iffy as we've gone from 32 to 64-bitOS) it's certain that there
would be a bit of mucking around. If I decide to upgrade them to the
latest tools then all the PHP code in there has to be audited as well.

Realistically, for the wiki, unless it's possible to force it to run
with the old php and apache binaries, we'd have no choice but to upgrade
the entire mediawiki codebase to something current as it's way to big to
manually audit/change each place the database is used.

-- Chris