POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Re: Spiral Warp : Re: povr / hgpovray38 / pov-ray 4 (was Re: Spiral Warp) Server Time
19 Apr 2024 19:44:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povr / hgpovray38 / pov-ray 4 (was Re: Spiral Warp)
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 25 Feb 2021 10:33:20
Message: <6037c340@news.povray.org>
On 2/22/21 11:40 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 22/02/2021 à 08:43, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
>
>> Just out of curiosity: How is this related to "POV-Ray 4" or whatever
>> POV-Ray 4 stands for? I am lost about the history of that ng.

> I do not know if there is any correlation between pov4 and povr.

None.

My povr branch implements some things 'I' think should be part of any
povray 4.0.

> For me, povr (as well as hgpovray38) is a divergent work from official
> povray (3.8 not yet published), so it would have been better to continue
> in p.u.patches .

The povr branch has only been 'published' as a patch/tarball.

I've been mentioning the work in other newsgroups when I think it helps
along a POV-Ray discussions or when a povr update has been driven by a
bug or discussion in some newsgroup.

It's also true I've borrowed the povray.beta-test.binaries newsgroup to
publish some of the functionality. In not being mirrored to the web
interface that group mostly doesn't show up to regular users, but was
thinking my 'ideas' for the future are at least documented in a place
later povray developers can find along with code in an occasionally
published tar ball.

...I see on coming back, discussions in other newsgroups where I could
chime in with detail and stuff only povr at the moment can do - though
much of the basic infrastructure is there in POV-Ray already.

But, I see your point too. Mention of povr, other than here, is
confusing and noise to all but a 'very few' users. Unlike your branch
and Dick's, the povr branch is not in total compatible with v3.8 master.

I'll aim to limit povr mentions to this newsgroup. I'll still put
tarballs in povray.binaries.programming when I happen to get something
together.

No one should take povr as other than my personal branch!

Aside: I am mostly busy with real life for a bit (a week?). I need to do
my US taxes :-( Plus, get after some other too long put off tasks about
the home.

Bill P.