POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Strange media artefact : Re: Strange media artefact Server Time
23 Apr 2024 08:57:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange media artefact
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Feb 2021 02:39:39
Message: <60238dbb@news.povray.org>
Op 09/02/2021 om 13:56 schreef William F Pokorny:
> On 2/8/21 2:38 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
>>
>> While working out some media stuff for Mike, I ran a a quick media
>> test to just
>> make sure I had the standard part working, and I got some odd results.
>>
>> Perhaps someone could render this and tell me why the center gives me
>> a nice x
>> gradient, but off to the sides I get those weird fans / lines.
>>

> Been now some years since I was digging around in that code, but if I'm
> remembering my "things-look-fishy-there" list correctly, the short
> answer is you need to increase the sampling. Try:
>
>   samples 33

[snip]

Wow! Some nice piece of info there!

I was late testing this media and found also that samples were the
culprits.

I have one question about them: can samples still be used with two
parameters with method 3? The Wiki is confusing about this, and I
wondered if it was a legacy from method 1 or 2, but not necessary anymore.

--
Thomas