POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Not using all CPU : Re: Not using all CPU Server Time
19 Apr 2024 16:53:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not using all CPU
From: Mike Horvath
Date: 13 Jan 2021 16:09:16
Message: <5fff617c@news.povray.org>
On 1/13/2021 3:25 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Did the render take enough time ?
> What is the size of the image, compared to the blocksize (+BS setting,
> default is 32, IIRC)

Width=1920
Height=1440
Preview_Start_Size=16
Preview_End_Size=16
Render_Block_Size=16
Render_Pattern=3

> Did you try to run the benchmark ?

No. I will do this when the current render is completed. (One or two days?)

> How is the temperature censor of the CPU as the render progresses ?

I have been unable to get a temperature reading off the CPU using
several programs. The readings for the GPU and even the HDD show up, but
not the CPU. Weird. It's a Dell so maybe there is proprietary software?
Dunno.

> Is it a laptop in economy mode ?

Desktop.

> Is there some energy management in use ?

I have no idea.

> i5 10400 is reported as 6 cores, 12 threads, base frequency 2.9, max
> turbo at 4.3 (but turbo is out of question with povray, it is a mode
> when only a single core is used)
>
> TDP is 65 W, I do not know how much that is for a 14nm. (hence my
> question about temperature above)
>
> Also, povray enjoy floating point operation everywhere, so it might
> trigger bottleneck on the execution of threads (2) over single true
> core(1). I do not know the cache size of the CPU per core either.
>

> The graphic chip is also embedded, I do not know if it can have an impact.

I am using an external nVidia card.

Thanks for the help.

Mike