POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Averaged micronormals by pattern : Averaged micronormals by pattern Server Time
23 Apr 2024 18:17:34 EDT (-0400)
  Averaged micronormals by pattern
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 9 Jan 2021 18:34:58
Message: <5ffa3da2$1@news.povray.org>
I tried blurred reflections using averaged micronormals of 9 built-in
patterns.  10 normals are averaged in each frame.  I used a bump size of
0.1 for all patterns, so the differences in blurriness between frames
are intrinsic to the patterns.

I used Alain's trick because without it, a render would occasionally get
stuck.  I was puzzled because I only put one reflective object in the
scene, but later it occurred to me that the lighting fixtures in my
prefab render rig have reflective finishes.  Apparently, it doesn't take
much to bog down a render.

The timing statistics are below.  The CPU is a quad core with dual
registers.  Figures may not add due to rounding.  Radiosity times are
omitted because I used two-pass radiosity: a radiosity file was created
without normals, and this one file was loaded for all of the patterns.
Parsing and bounding times were negligible.

Elapsed time (m:s)

   Pattern       Photons  Trace   Total
   -------       -------  -----   -----
   agate           0:34    3:30    4:04
   bozo            0:26    2:04    2:30
   bumps           0:26    2:43    3:10
   crackle         1:37    2:54    4:31
   dents           0:27    2:07    2:34
   facets coords   0:42    2:57    3:39
   granite         0:27    3:07    3:35
   spotted         0:27    2:01    2:28
   wrinkles        0:27    2:32    2:59

CPU time (m:s)

   Pattern       Photons  Trace   Total
   -------       -------  -----   -----
   agate           1:53   24:19   26:11
   bozo            1:37   14:48   16:25
   bumps           1:36   19:25   21:01
   crackle         3:15   20:48   24:04
   dents           1:37   15:11   16:48
   facets coords   2:05   21:23   23:27
   granite         1:44   22:13   23:57
   spotted         1:38   14:33   16:11
   wrinkles        1:42   18:04   19:47

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'fuzzy_normal_types.jpg' (151 KB)

Preview of image 'fuzzy_normal_types.jpg'
fuzzy_normal_types.jpg