POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop leaking memory (SDL2 issue) : Re: Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop leaking memory (SDL2 issue) Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:01:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop leaking memory (SDL2 issue)
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 6 Jan 2021 08:15:09
Message: <5ff5b7dd$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/10/20 10:40 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> In povray.unoffical.patches, In early November I picked up a severe
> performance issue with the preview feature and SDL2.0:
>
> "Performance issue with preview and sdl2.0."
>
> True, I guess, except the severity appears to be tangled in the fact the
> Ubuntu 20.4.1 Gnome desktop is leaking memory over time. ...

An update. Playing with uxterms, watching /proc/meminfo over time...
Thanks jr for the pointers. (The uxterms reduce the initial memory
footprint)

Then, two days ago I hit the awful slowdown swapping windows, doing
window / desktop stuff - while I still had 4GB plus free... Maybe more
of a local gnome memory space filling or non linear algorithmic behavior
apparent after time???

When it happened, I noticed I had a hanging empty desktop as was true on
some of the other painful slowdowns too - easy to create by paging one
workspace too far. So...

I found and installed a gnome-tweaks tool. Moved from dynamic desktops
to 4 static ones and turned off animations. A hope it helps...

I also dug up the method to force the freeing of file buffering related
memory the next time I see the slow down. It's apparent now most of the
buff/cache consumption at any given time is file related. It also sunk
in I was seeing previously "memory paging" - not necessarily swapping to
and from the disk swap space - though some swap was consumed at the
time. Wondering now if this activity was at all related to the Gnome
slow down or just something which happened to be going on at the same time.

FWIW.

Bill P.