POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : RADIOSITY save/load syntax in v3.7-3.8? : Re: RADIOSITY save/load syntax in v3.7-3.8? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 19:41:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RADIOSITY save/load syntax in v3.7-3.8?
From: Ash Holsenback
Date: 23 Nov 2020 06:54:02
Message: <5fbba2da$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/22/20 9:48 AM, Kenneth wrote:

> [I'm running the latest v3.8 Windows 'development' build of POV-ray.]
>
> Does anyone know the updated proper syntax for LOADING a saved radiosity data
> file?  I tried doing a search of the newsgroups, but I have not found anything
> useful. I haven't used radiosity very much in the past, but I'm trying to catch
> up ;-)
>
> For SAVING radiosity data, POV-ray's built-in documentation and the online wiki
> have the following instructions, for use in an .INI file:
>
> Radiosity_File_Name="RAD data" (or whatever file name you choose)
> Radiosity_To_File=on
>
> *Both* of these need to be used to create a saved rad-data file, and they
> successfully work.
>
> But for re-LOADING the saved file for use in the scene, the instructions have
> apparently never been finalized-- the syntax as given does not work...
>              Radiosity_From_File=<on/off>
> although the docs do say that the syntax is "subject to change."
>
> By experimenting, I found some syntax that *appears* to work -- at least, it
> does not cause a fatal error:
>                Radiosity_From_File="RAD data"
> I don't know if there is a 2nd command that also needs to be used; the docs
> don't mention one.
>
> However, in running tests with this syntax, it seems that the saved data file is
> not being used at all. The only way that I know to test this is to creat a scene
> with initial radiosity settings that take a long time to render (while SAVING
> the *large* rad-data file), and then to try to re-load the file for a subsequent
> render. The result is that the 2nd render takes just as long to complete as the
> first-- so I have to assume that the saved rad file is not being used.
>
> I also tried  +RFI on the command line, per the documentation, but the re-render
> completely fails: "Runtime library Invalid Parameter Handler Invoked"
>
> Has anyone found alternate command-line settings for loading the file that will
> actually work? Does this command successfully work in LINUX builds of the source
> code?
>
> The other important question is: What should the scene's rad settings be when
> RE-rendering the scene with the saved file? Are they supposed to be left as-is?
> Or modified? This has always been a mystery to me, and I have not yet found
> anything in the documentation that would be a clue. (I tried using a 'blank'
> radiosity block--  radiosity{} -- but that ignores the saved data as well.)

i have theses two definitions in Options.ini:

[RadiosityLoad]
Declare=UseRad=1
Radiosity_File_Name="/users/ash/POV-Ray/v3.8/Source/Work.rad"
+RFI
+RFO

[RadiositySave]
Declare=UseRad=2
Radiosity_File_Name="/users/ash/POV-Ray/v3.8/Source/Work.rad"
+RFO

they get called on the command line

in the scene file if loading saved rad data, set pretrace_start and
pretrace_stop to 1 and add RadiosityLoad to the command line

in the scene file if saving rad data, set pretrace_start and
pretrace_stop to preferred settings and add RadiositySave to the command
line

hint: if / else blocks are your friend