POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Backside illumination : Re: Backside illumination Server Time
23 Apr 2024 13:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Backside illumination
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Nov 2020 02:30:52
Message: <5fbb652c$1@news.povray.org>
Op 22/11/2020 om 16:22 schreef Kenneth:
>> In Norbert Kern's Bluebell Wood discussion, there was mention of the use
>> of basckside illumination by Alain and myself. Here is an example of its
>> use, a 2019 update of a 2012 scene from the Iskander/Gancaloon universe.
>> Backside illumination was applied to the curtains.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> I have not yet used backside illumination, so I'm curious as to what I should
> see in your scene. I assume that the curtain objects themselves are
> semi-transparent(?), and that the effect is seen as the small triangular light
> patches on the left-side curtain?
>
> So many tricks to learn, so little time ;-)

Michael and Alain give the answer.

You will see the effect if you put two versions side by side, one with,
one without the use of backside illumination (used indeed with a
semi-transparant texture): without it, the aspect will be much more dull.

In my image, it it just the "shininess" of the curtain parts in sunlight
that is increased making the whole more attractive but also more natural
imo.

--
Thomas