POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Planetary fly-overs with height-fields : Re: Planetary fly-overs with height-fields Server Time
18 Apr 2024 01:11:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Planetary fly-overs with height-fields
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 18 Nov 2020 08:03:18
Message: <5fb51b96$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

 > Hi Povrayer,
 >
 > 2018 I worked with real height-data of planets and tried some
fly-over with help
 > from Povrays height-fields.
 > Here one of the Moon (Mare Imbrium) and two from Mars (Vallis
Marineris and
 > Olympus Mons).
 >
 > Videos:
 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw8pX6D5ky0
 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CAEoP-xg5U
 > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOXpAtFe2mQ

Nicely done... what vertical resolution did you use - 8 or 16 bit? The
Olympus Mons flyaround shows some "terraced" terrain usually seen with
8-bit grayscale heightfields...
 > Playlist:
 > https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyqRFFB9kitzKn_a_-PQa-DMO24SXNE-Z
 >
 > The DEM and the visual maps I downlaoded from the former NASA-Site
Map-A-Planet
 > (version 1).
 > The resolution isnt the best, due to the former download-limit of
Map-A-Planet.
 > Also there is some flickering in the movies, partially by switched-off
 > anti-aliasing.

Meanwhile, there should be higher-quality data downloadable... if only
NASA servers would not be so chaotically structured!

I myself plan to do planetary flyovers with spherical "heightfields", i.
e. mesh2 reliefs wrapped around a sphere, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKxHFAlz2Ns&pbjreload=101

Your nickname indicates that you're from Cologne - or at least the
bordering Ripuarian-speaking regions... am I right?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar