POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Revisiting meshrelief : Re: Revisiting meshrelief Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:28:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Revisiting meshrelief
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Nov 2020 03:11:26
Message: <5fae3fae$1@news.povray.org>
Op 12/11/2020 om 18:39 schreef Bill Pragnell:
> Hi All
>
> Some of you may remember my 'meshrelief' include for making perturbed meshes
> from target shapes. I've recently rewritten it using a cube-face point grid
> instead of the old equirectangular grid, which tended to produce 'pinching' at
> the poles. The even spacing of the cube grid also allows simple kernel smoothing
> of the resulting mesh.
>
> There are now two optional mesh deformation stages (each with their own
> smoothing passes if required), with predefined texture maps so the mesh can be
> textured to match the deformation functions. As before, deformation is best
> limited to small distances to avoid self-intersection, since the points are
> moved along the local normals.
>
> The image here illustrates these main options using a single base shape.
>
> My intention is to share this include on this server (final polish pending).
> Eventually I'll add it to the Object Collection, but in the meantime what's the
> most suitable group to post it to? P.b.s-f?

Great work, Bill! It has been some (too long) time since I last used
meshrelief. This looks like a most interesting update indeed, just in
time for my birthday. :-)

I posted my updates of lawnmaker and cloud shells to p.b.utilities,
which seemed most appropriate, but it looks like p.b.scene-files is also
a correct location after all.

--
Thomas