POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Pending Storm : Re: Pending Storm - final Server Time
23 Apr 2024 05:40:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pending Storm - final
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 16 Oct 2020 02:42:32
Message: <5f8940d8$1@news.povray.org>
Op 15/10/2020 om 21:18 schreef Mr:
>> Please find here the (last) version of the scene. Search for the
>> differences ;-)
>>
>> One notable change I want to elaborate on a bit. I dumped Gilles Tran's
>> MakeGrass and replaced it by Lawnmaker from Uwe Gleiss (2004).
>> Unfortunately, his website from where it was downloaded does not exist
>> anymore. Interestingly, the grass blades were made of parametric objects
>> and I remembered the infinite time it took to render a proper scene, so
>> I never used it. William Pokorny's discovery about the optimal settings
>> for parametric objects, made me curious of course and, Lo! Lawnmaker
>> suddenly became a serious candidate. Not stopping there, and interested
>> as I am in using mesh2{} files, I decided to experiment with Meshmaker
>> (thanks Ingo!). With the help of an example file by Friedrich
>> Lohmueller, I made the conversion within a couple of minutes. Taking
>> into account the size of the grasspatches and their grass blade density
>> (which can increase parsing time quite rapidly) a typical lawn renders
>> very fast, hardly slower than the rest of the scene.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> Hi sorry, is it too late to give suggestions? The potential of this image is big
> !  My first and only remark if too late is that there would me a more immersive
> feeling if silhouette of the castle had more bumpy details for slabs. That would
> be a lot of work (maybe less for an HG POV displacement). So I hold my tong for
> the other possible areas to work on and really appologize if it's too late, I
> enjoy the meteorological effect of clouds falling down to rain a lot, and the
> slopes of distant hills , and the grain on the rusty metal bar and the position
> of wooden ramp to compose image into depth.

Never too late for suggestions; if I am going to do something with them
is another matter. ;-)

For those parts of the castle which show a definite shadow in the Sun
(the tower) I used the displacement feature in Poseray. This is tricky
business because you can easily overdo it and the effect becomes worse.
So, the roof tiles and the stones in the wall were subtly displaced. The
shadowy wall were not displaced though. Overall, I applied a proximity
pattern to make the wall texture more interesting.

There are always more features to work upon in such a scene. I have a
couple of items myself. However, before I get bored I prefer to stop now
and maybe take up the work later (or never). Perfection is not my cup of
tea. :-)

--
Thomas