POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : povray vs uberpov am3 : Re: povray vs uberpov am3 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: povray vs uberpov am3
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 22 Sep 2020 05:50:09
Message: <5f69c8d1$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/21/20 5:27 PM, jr wrote:
> "jr" <cre### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> before I get to patching POV-Ray, can post edited transcript of respective runs
> in a few days, if you still want "full details".

We can let it go.

Good to see the performance improvements(1). I was still curious about
the color channel < 0 throw results on both machines. But, the
performance improvements from you and Ton I think pretty clearly
indicate the domain error is the start of the problem on all
machine/compiler/os combos and what happens after we can take as
implementation differences for undefined behavior.

(1) - After posting, I played with many renders at different settings
using Ton's test case. It's hard to get rid of the last little open bits
without taking more initial samples. Changes in the seed moves them
around and you could then merge multiple images, but that's ugly. The
only somewhat reliable way I could get there in POV-Ray was by rendering
a larger image. Adding the capability for min samples >1 to am3
necessary, I think, for a best fleshed out implementation. Someday...

Bill P.