POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can we eliminate colour banding? : Re: Can we eliminate colour banding? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 11:57:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can we eliminate colour banding?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 19 Aug 2020 07:45:39
Message: <5f3d10e3$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/18/20 11:51 AM, Kima wrote:

> Do I miss something?

Perhaps. In an earlier post I mentioned using POV-Ray (v3.8 preferably)
as a viewer for high depth (>8 bit per channel) images because it
dithers the preview screen. Look in povray.unofficial.patches for a post
about a pgm depth map patch. At the bottom of that post is code for a >8
bit pgm POV-Ray viewer which could be modified for png or whatever.

I expect there are some image viewers that can internally dither >8 bit
depths before display, but I've not run across one (I'm on linux/rasbian
only).

Various external image manipulation tools can dither >8 bits too.

If you want to view images in typical web/display environments, I
suspect you'll get better, non-banding results with 8 bit dithered
output.

Bill P.