POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Into the Wild : Re: Into the Wild Server Time
17 Apr 2024 21:34:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Into the Wild
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 12 Aug 2020 10:41:20
Message: <5f33ff90$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/11/20 4:52 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> What puzzles me in the resulting image here is the visible boundary
> between the first partial render and the first restart at about one
> third down the image. You cannot miss it. I never experienced something
> like that before. From a couple of experiments, I guess that it has to
> do with the isosurface but I am at a loss about /why/. Any idea?
>
> Using version 3.8 (also shows with 3.7 as far as I can tell), 6 threads,
> on a i5 laptop.

Interesting. Not sure.

While you were experimenting with continuations, did the discontinuity
at the continuation move around substantially enough to be sure it's not
related to camera rays and slope in some fashion? Guessing you are using
a slope based pattern?

There are what I think of as 2.5 bugs in the shadow cache mechanism of
v37 and v38 which are fixed in povr. And with povr, users can set the
shadow tolerance which is in play with the bugs too. These bugs /
limitations have the potential to behave differently depending upon the
objects in play and so too isosurfaces over other objects. The shadow
cache state wouldn't be carried through on a continuation so 'suppose'
those 2.5 shadow cache bugs could be the cause.

There is too an isosurface/thread based cache mechanism specific to the
isosurface, but looking at the code doubt it could cause the discontinuity.

I don't really have the machine for this scene..., but is the scene
small enough you could package it up  - without the cloud media if
possible? Maybe, if I render vertical slices or something I could
reproduce it in v38, then try a similar continuation with povr without
tying my machine up too long.

Bill P.