POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVEarth still far away... : Re: POVEarth still far away... Server Time
23 Apr 2024 07:53:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVEarth still far away...
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 2 Aug 2020 17:53:31
Message: <5f2735db$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 02.08.20 21:54, Bald Eagle wrote:

> I edited your file for (my) clarity, added some time stamps, and ran it.
> Near the end of your file you have a missing closing parentheses:
>
> #write (ES  "  finish{ F_Earthslice }\n")
> #write (ES, "    }\n")   // <--------- missing closing )

Okay, that's the ticket! Thank you VERY much... that's a whole asteroid
off my heart! What a stupid little mistake...

Probably the seemingly endless #write sequence led to memory overload...

> Once I fixed that, it ran just "fine".
> It's slow as hell and uses a LOT of memory, which is likely your problem.  You
> probably run OUT of memory somewhere.

The original version by Melody was even much, much slower - generating a
3601 by 3601 mesh took some cool 200 days! My version does it in two and
a half hours...

> That 3rd nested loop is an absolute killer.
> You do a lot of the same calculations many MANY times.
> Pre-calculate equation terms before all of your conditional statements, and then
> you not only save time but also make the expressions much shorter and easily
> read.

I don't understand what you mean - the very formula by which the sums of
the vector cross products are calculation depends on the position of the
respective vertex, which are divided into nine different cases: lower
left, lower right, upper left and upper right corners, lower, left,
right and upper side, center. I cannot pre-calculate anything! At least
not without the risk of messing up the code completely... never change a
running system!

> Don't tackle such large data sets until you have the basic code at least
> somewhat optimized.   Crop out a small portion of the original image as a test
> area, or use a larger step size to skip over some percentage of the data.
>
> You're processing over a million tokens in theis scene with that image, so you
> likely just don't have the system resources to handle the array data that you're
> piling up.   If you can just use temporary variable that can get redeclared in
> the next step of the loop, you might be just fine.

Before that parenthesis went lost, it worked fine... probably slower
than necessary, but it worked!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar