POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e : Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:48:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An updated povr tarball for Unix/Linux. f6b1c13e
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 1 Aug 2020 10:12:13
Message: <5f25783d$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/31/20 4:19 AM, jr wrote:
> hi,
>
> no, for me it's just[*] the lower/uppercase stuff.  basically, each of my old
> scenes I tried, failed.  I thought about modifying scene code, but since they
> work I'll find it easier not to use (the new version of) 'povr'.
>
> [*] at present.
>
>> Are there actual conflicts/problems with the approach; or examples where
>> it's very inconvenient?
>
> just inconvenient.  eg, to "fix" the scene I used when I ran into the X11
> animation issue, would be a lot of work, made worse by the fact that I got that
> scene from the web, ie it's not even my code.
>
>> The functionality is still hacked in - because I'm trying it too. :-)
>> But, thus far, I'm liking the behavior.
>
> cannot say the same.  guess I'm "allergic" to uppercase.  :-)
>
> (could this behaviour be enabled/disabled via a 'povray.conf' setting instead?)

Maybe in the near term, but the whole idea is to offer a way to code
function and macro parameters which will never collide. This method only
works if people cannot turn off the case checking.

I don't think there is any magic here. Name spaces, or whatever method,
any fix(es) for indentifier name collisions will require changes to
existing code and coding habits.

Bill P.