POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : whither POV-Ray ?? : Re: whither POV-Ray ?? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 20:43:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: whither POV-Ray ??
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Jul 2020 13:27:14
Message: <5f1876f2$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 12:28:31 -0400, jr wrote:

> hi,

> agreeing, as you do, with GBS, I've taken the liberty to address just a
> couple of points.

>>> and here's what I do not understand.  you have admin privilege for the
>>> news server, and the wiki, afaik, and, guessing here, for the main
>>> website.  so why then, as I pointed out in my initial "rant", is the
>>> news section so .. not news?
>> I don't have admin privileges for the news server or the wiki (any
>> more).  ...
>
> (and a couple of posts later)
>> ...  I'm another end user, just like you.  ...
>
> so my understanding of NNTP is that once a post has "gone through", it
> will remain on that server indefinitely (one can set a "destroy-by"
> date, but don't think it's honoured by the servers).  therefore, without
> admin privileges (or an indebted djinn) you, as "another end user",
> ought not to have been able to withdraw your post (with haste :-)).
> "end user"s like me have to, and do, stand by our posts, the published
> record; handy that _you_ are able to .. alter the record, the reality if
> you will.

Your understanding of NNTP is incorrect.  No admin privileges are needed
to cancel your own posts or supersede them.  It's a common thing to do in
the USENET world.

> you also wrote, replying to BE: "I am a boss/supervisor, and I can tell
> you, that is not a great way to motivate people if you want them to be
> loyal to you."
>
> my, my.  you like people's loyalty to you?  I suggest the word you're
> looking for is "fealty".

Let me put it this way:  You don't know what the fuck you're talking
about, and I don't owe you *any* explanation.

> personally, I have never worked for "the man", the
> organisations/companies paid my bread, and that's where my loyalties
> lay.
>
> fwiw, I do not think there's much mileage in a reply.  (particularly
> since you cannot, apparently, think of new swear words)

Oh, damn, he doesn't like the swear words I use to express my
displeasure.  What ever shall I do?

It's people like you who suck the joy out of volunteering to do the kind
of work that Chris and TAG do.  You have an over-inflated sense of
entitlement to things you have exactly zero entitlement to.

Good bye.

*plonk*