POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : indoor garden scene : Re: indoor garden scene Server Time
23 Apr 2024 05:05:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: indoor garden scene
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Jul 2020 02:34:08
Message: <5f0c0060$1@news.povray.org>
Op 12/07/2020 om 12:27 schreef Mr:

>> The wooden frames of the windows, while obviously in shadow, are too
>> bright imo, or seem over-exposed somehow. I guess that the contrast
>> outside (over-exposed) / inside (right exposure, but just) is to be
>> blamed here. I think that I would have made the scene a tiny bit darker,
>> with the consequence of over-exposing the outside even more of course.
>> Difficult choice.
>
> Agreed, but only very slightly, because, average viewer is now getting used to
> see subjectively tone mapped High dynamic range / bracketed photographs,  such
> as the ones from Matthieu Ricard. So keeping a little bit of this "excessive"
> range in is an important part of the wow effect at work here. Kind of like what
> happens when one snaps the tracked motion of a shaky hand held camera onto a 3d
> rendered animation, it's theoretically less professional/studio looking camera
> works, but it actually increases the viewer's willing suspension of disbelief
> (and it also works on pure live action such as Blair Witch or Dancer in the
> dark)
> Digression is getting too far, but the point being HDR has now become mainstream
> and can be used as one of the many tricks to disguise hand knitted CG into what
> looks like a more spontaneous picture.

I do agree with you of course. However, I have a gut feeling that
something else is at play here. Possibly involving the slight
reflectivity mentioned by Norbert, or something involving a high
"ambient" value (?). Look also at the left-hand chair: It should be in
shadow (light coming from left rear) but it is strongly illuminated by a
light from under the table... Is that reflection from the table cloth?
It seems too bright to me.

But those are just nitpicking comments. The image is gorgeous nonetheless.

--
Thomas