POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface beveled text : Re: Isosurface beveled text Server Time
18 Apr 2024 22:37:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface beveled text
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 17 May 2020 21:45:21
Message: <5ec1e8b1@news.povray.org>
On 2020-05-17 7:41 AM (-4), Bald Eagle wrote:

> Can this be applied to prisms then as well?

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.5d75c2d16af53e9cecc0fada0%40news.povray.org%3E/

For the edges, without a doubt.  For the face, it should be possible, if
you make the edge half as wide as the face.

> Can it be used to make something like Dave Blandston's bordered characters?

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.5bea4bb194d53ed979416a1f0%40news.povray.org%3E/

Probably.

> Perhaps make Center-line fonts / Single-line fonts from standard fonts, or the
> reverse?

I don't know what you mean here.

> And do you think there's a way to decrease the number of trace() calls and
> interpolate instead?

I'm not going to rule that out, but it would involve optimization more
clever than I can think of at the moment.  There's also the question of
whether the parser overhead would actually save time, although it
wouldn't hurt to try.

My algorithm searches for the surfaces over 360 degrees, so one can
halve the time with a step size of 2.  I don't know how much that would
affect accuracy, but I do recall that a step size of 5 was unacceptable
to me.