POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Non - rgbf 1 pigment only applied to surface. : Re: Non - rgbf 1 pigment only applied to surface. Server Time
24 Apr 2024 22:25:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Non - rgbf 1 pigment only applied to surface.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 8 May 2020 06:27:08
Message: <5eb533fc$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/7/20 9:10 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:

> Suppose you take a pigment pattern and use a color map with one color, the other
> being clear.   Texture a box with that.   Only the sides of the box are
> textured, so it appears hollow.   This makes some sense due to POV-Ray only
> raytracing surfaces, however since the rays obviously travel through the box to
> the other faces and beyond, I wonder what it would take to have the rays
> "detect" and pigment the first non rgbf 1 region.
>
> Testing this with pigment {spherical}, one might naively assume to see the
> sphere - but only if you make the edge of the textured box intersect somewhere
> less than 1.

Not sure I'm following.

Are you looking for ray tracing efficiency?

If after a result, in addition to Alain's suggestion I'd add the
clipped_by mechanism where only surfaces inside the clipped_by shape
show up.

Underneath today everything is textured - carries that overhead - no
matter.

I've been playing with the idea of independent
containers/shapes/surfaces and bounding structures for textures,
interiors and so on rather than hanging everything off the shape
surfaces. Only a few experiments in that direction thus far (the maze
isosurfaces posted months back was one in part).

Bill P.