POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Some v38 torus vs f_torus() information. : Some v38 torus vs f_torus() information. Server Time
20 Apr 2024 11:29:31 EDT (-0400)
  Some v38 torus vs f_torus() information.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 30 Apr 2020 08:32:29
Message: <5eaac55d$1@news.povray.org>
Some information I've not seen anywhere about f_torus equivalents for a
couple of the new v38 torus spindle modes. The merge and intersection
spindle modes have long existed with the f_torus, but via value
arguments. See the attached image.

So, you can get a couple of the spindle tori with isosurfaces and
f_torus in versions prior to v38.

While at it, some timing information from povr with new solver branch
updates.

torus regular to sturm solver  2.070 -> 2.393  +15.60%
torus sturm to f_torus         2.393 -> 3.605  +50.65%

Bill P.

Question. Does anyone know why f_torus2() exists? Best I can tell it's a
much, much, less efficient implementation with an additional capability
to tweak the values. That last can be done faster in other ways. Current
plan is to delete f_torus2() in povr.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'story_torus_vs_f_torus.png' (46 KB)

Preview of image 'story_torus_vs_f_torus.png'
story_torus_vs_f_torus.png