POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Curved prism : Re: Curved prism Server Time
25 Apr 2024 06:02:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Curved prism
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 18 Apr 2020 12:39:20
Message: <5e9b2d38$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/message/%3Cweb.5e97c744fd34edcfb0b41570%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cweb.5e97
> c744fd34edcfb0b41570%40news.povray.org%3E

Ok, clearer with a picture, thanks.

So height on the curve is function of the distance to the prism's edge.

I foresee plenty of problems with concave prism.

It reminds me of pattern for color interpolation on polygon

http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron#Interpolation_for_polygon

> http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron#Interpolation_for_polygon

Sad point: I see no easy solver for ray computation.

Good point: defining a strength-field, using the distance to the nearest
edge of the prism, is possible. Then a non-linear function (like square
root or cube) can be used, to curve in space the shape of such isosurface.

Infernal point: the continuity of such field, when changing edge, is not
intrinsic, so excepted for regular polygon, it is probably doomed.