POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVEarth: Norway, Svalbard, Moffen Island : Re: POVEarth: Norway, Svalbard, Moffen Island Server Time
23 Apr 2024 13:36:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVEarth: Norway, Svalbard, Moffen Island
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 12 Apr 2020 23:53:47
Message: <5e93e24b$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 06.04.20 10:25, jr wrote:

> the website I referred to is "povearth.de".  and Bald Eagle's reply provides a
> fine summary of what would be expected.
>

>> This probably would not be possible, as 2 TB additional webspace is at
>> the upper limit I can afford - and the original files come as *.zip from
>> the NASA server...
>
> in an earlier post you wrote "as a Linux user".  that gives you the opportunity
> to use (significantly) better compression for the data than zip achieves; I'd
> "re-package" the zipped data using either 'gzip(1)' or, better, 'xz(1)'.  (for
> instance, I have a VRML ASCII data file which, using xz, crunched from just over
> 1G to just under 10M)

I tried xz... but my mesh2 inc files are still about 80 MB after
compressing - so I will still need some 700 GB of webspace make them
available for download. I recently did some research in webspace prices
- and found out that 2 TB would be MUCH too expensive for me, as they
usually are around 500 US$/year... the largest webspace offer I could
afford is 500 GB for 36 euros/year, and that probably would be not
enough for all 8000+ tiles processed into compressed mesh2 inc files.

Most likely, I would store the POVEarth terrain data online as PNG
heightfields - they are smaller than 10 MB per tile down the line.

However, I cancelled my "rock-o-data" webspace (hosted by the very same
company which offers that bargain 500 GB), which will expire in November
2021... after that, I'll migrate the POVEarth data to a new webspace
under povearth.de!

> also, the 'sed' command features an '-i' option switch which allows you to
> update the file, no need to make intermediate copies; you can supply multiple
> expressions ('-e'), too.

Did not try out yet; first, I'll have to (re-)calculate the mesh2 from
the n80e017 data tile, then render a few views and also trying to do a
first multi-tile scene (from n80e016 and n80e017 tiles)... and finally
get some hours of sleep! ;-)

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar