POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Patterns / functions. Obscure details. Noise etc. : Re: Patterns / functions. Obscure details. Noise etc. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:46:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Patterns / functions. Obscure details. Noise etc.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 12 Apr 2020 12:52:26
Message: <5e93474a$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/9/20 3:55 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 4/8/20 2:23 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
>
> Anyway, wild dreams. Today. Off to kill the spotted pattern, f_spotted,
> f_bumps, f_bozo and change bozo's inbuilt default color_map to black and
> white. Simpler things first.

Bald Eagle's question in advanced about the slope pattern got me to
thinking it might be helpful to talk more about why I am dropping all
the continuous pattern default color_maps back to black(0) to white(1).

It's the case today some patterns have default color maps and others
don't in the official POV-Ray implementations. For example, though bozo,
bump and spotted are all really just calls to 3d noise; Only bozo has a
many color default color map. The radial pattern has a many color
default, the granite pattern does not and so on. At least some of this
behavior is documented, but I've never done a complete survey to see if
it's all there and correct.

I ran into considerable confusion back when I was playing with the
peeling paint isosurface stuff and trying to come up with ways to
implement the method on the fly. I was trying something similar to what
you are trying with the color channels.

With access to the five color channels (and v3.8's blend mode/gamma for
the rgb channels) what we have is a powerful way to 'skew' a single
function's resulting values. What happened with me as I was working is I
kept commenting out my color_map line while debugging as in:

// color_map { CM_skewFunctionResults }

but I wasn't always getting then a default black to white color_map I
expected, but sometimes a - whatever colors - internally set up one.

I expect one can run into similar confusion working with media densities
and defaulted many color maps.

In my personal povr all continuous patterns will default to black to
white maps - though I've only modified bozo and radial thus far.

Aside: I think it probably makes sense for the block patterns to have
default color maps. I cannot think of a good reason for continuous
patterns to have defaults other than black to white. Is there, or was
there one back in the early days of many gammas or something?

Aside 2: I have modified the default brick (block pattern) colors for
the 2.2 to 1.0 default gamma change. If you run brick with the default
color map the result is very washed out compared to v3.6 and prior
results. True too for our color include which I plan to lose or replace
entirely in povr. New users should not be pulling colors out of colors
inc. Those color definitions today correspond to no common standard that
I can see. (Wikipedia has a very complete set of color names and common
value definitions if you've not come across it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_colors)

Bill P.