POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Radiosity = Ambient Occlusion (Almost) : Radiosity = Ambient Occlusion (Almost) Server Time
18 Apr 2024 21:34:00 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity = Ambient Occlusion (Almost)
From: Anthony
Date: 15 Mar 2020 18:24:25
Message: <5e6eab19$1@news.povray.org>
I wanted to see how close Radiosity could get to pure ambient occlusion.
I found out that it's very close, and that there are only some minor
differences. The bottom line is that radiosity (using one bounce and a
white background) is about the same as regular AO.

For this experiment, an object with lots of nooks and crevices was
helpful, and that's where my inverted quintrino came to the rescue. The
only adjustment I did to the image was an inverse gamma correction.

You can see the results on my webpage by following link below. You can
drag the slider back and forth, or click "AO" or "RADIOSITY" at the top
and it will slide across automatically. Or you can click anywhere in the
image and the dividing line will slide to that location.

https://scorpius.github.io/compare.htm