POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : output file saving : Re: output file saving Server Time
20 Apr 2024 12:08:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: output file saving
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 4 Mar 2020 12:36:22
Message: <5e5fe716$1@news.povray.org>
Le 04/03/2020 à 03:57, GioSeregni a écrit :
>> "GioSeregni" <gms### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>> sorry if I insist on off topic but I think it's something to know.
>>> I am reviewing the code of my libraries. I have had confirmation that removing
>>> the "difference" from the loops is gaining 3/4 of the time.
>>
>> Yeah, difference{} can be a killer if it's not implemented in a way that
>> optimizes its usage.
>>
>> You might find this enlightening as well:
>> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/holetut/index.htm
>
> Yes, but in my last example the geometric shape has identical result, even if
> described in two different ways.
> I believed that theare are infinite way to render light and surface, because
> they depend on the programming of each user.
> But I thought that the forms, which instead have a unique and indisputable
> spatial result, were optimized and stored in a internal database, by the parser,
> in its best way.

The problem of difference optimisation is the bounding box.

Plane have infinite bounding box, so they are killing the difference
optimisation. Something that does not occurs when clipping.

It might be worth testing with a box instead of plane (as small as
possible box to make the same as the plane did, even if it is a bit more
complex to describe (due to having to rotate the box to match the normal
vector of the plane)