POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : There will be no POVEarth! : There will be no POVEarth! Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:59:54 EDT (-0400)
  There will be no POVEarth!
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 25 Feb 2020 14:51:48
Message: <5e557ad4$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

...and thus, most likely no POVghanistan!

The reason: the data structure in the ASCII elevation data tiles
generated with 3DEM from the original ASTER GeoTIFFs is too
unpredictable to reliably generate anything from them using POV-Ray!
Values ending in .00 are intermingled with those ending in .0 or being
real decimal fractures, they are mostly separated by one space, but
sometimes also two... no combination of sed commands I ever tried
produced a POV-Ray-processible file! Some tiles work, while others won't...

I could give C++ a try, but even then it would be next to impossible for
me to take all peculiarities of the ASCII tiles into account...
POVghanistan will forever be limited to a classic heightfield containing
Kabul and a small portion of its surroundings I started pixeling
manually from that Russian topographic map in 2004. OpenCologne will
never come into existence unless I find a really powerful contour line
interpolation tool.

It just HURTS to give up some many dreams, from travelling to real
Afghanistan, growing my hair to waist length, making a living as a
professional programmer and now building Khyberspace...

See you in Khyberspace, perhaps in another world and time...

Yadgar