POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Outputting the outlines of a scene : Re: Outputting the outlines of a scene Server Time
24 Apr 2024 06:30:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outputting the outlines of a scene
From: Alain Martel
Date: 17 Feb 2020 16:20:13
Message: <5e4b038d@news.povray.org>

https://mjhorvath.github.io/Datsville/docs/high-resolution-render/high-resolution-render.html

> I was wondering if there were maybe some way of automating the process,
> by outputting the outlines of the objects that I can later vectorize in
> Illustrator or Inkscape?
>
> I know someone made a vector outline tool for Blender, but I'm not sure
> how it works, or if it works _well_ at all.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks so much!
>

> Michael

If you can render the objects separately, you can get a silhouette by
rendering the object with finish{ambient 0 diffuse 0} against a white
background. Or, render with +q0, a black pigment and a white background.
If you want a white object against a black background, then, you can use
this:
pigment{rgb 1}finish{emission 1}
Or, +q0, a white pigment and black background.

For both options, you don't need any light.

Then, in Inkscape, you can use that image to generate that outline. You
may also use a contour filter as another way to get a line around the
object.

Only work for the object seen from a specific direction.