POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Buying a new Win 10 computer any advice? : Re: Buying a new Win 10 computer any advice? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 02:26:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Buying a new Win 10 computer any advice?
From: Alain Martel
Date: 22 Jan 2020 18:56:37
Message: <5e28e135$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2020-01-22 à 15:20, rastertastic a écrit :
> I'm about to buy a new home computer, does Povray usually work with Windows 10
> (home or pro) out of the box? Is there anything particular I should watch out?
>
> I don't have much time to play with Povray but I keep coming back to it so it
> would be a bummer if I couldn't use it on a new machine.

It works on ANY version of Windows. Also exist for Linux and MacOS.

Hardware preferences :
As much RAM as you can. Aim for low latency over burst length.

POV-Ray is CPU heavy. Get the best CPU that you can afford.

Video : Discrete video card, but the cheapest entry level will do.
POV-Ray don't use the video card for anything else than to display the
interface and the rendered image.

Disks : Any will do.

Alain