POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVghanistan/POVEarth: now with Melody's smooth triangles macros! : Re: POVghanistan/POVEarth: now with Melody's smooth triangles macros! Server Time
20 Apr 2024 06:13:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVghanistan/POVEarth: now with Melody's smooth triangles macros!
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 6 Dec 2019 17:37:21
Message: <5dead821@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

On 06.12.19 22:10, Melody wrote:

> ay cool. and learned something. I suspected like a billion points or something
> ... heh 33.days.

I think pre-calculating the mesh2 using C++ will speed things up at
least three orders of magnitude!

> Hawaii was only 14 height_fields, setup internally took 10 secs.
> 14 1201x1201 tga images -
> found DEMs of the world abysmally lacking, when supposedly we have 3.4 meters
> data ... now that has to be ... ever calculate it? a lot of data!
>
> I saw compiled .hgt files,  it seems the DEM project is outdated, but still
> lives.
>
> https://gis.stackexchange.com/questions/43743/extracting-elevation-from-hgt-file

I have the whole ASTER elevation data set (3601 by 3601 measuring points
per square degree!) locally on my external hard disk... and if I get the
C++ solution running, I'll start uploading pre-calculated mesh2s
generated from the original ASCII tiles for each data tile onto my webspace!

> yes,
> loops in script too slow? compile with code::blocks.

Compiling? A POV-Ray script? Please explain...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar