POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POVghanistan/POVEarth: now with Melody's smooth triangles macros! : POVghanistan/POVEarth: now with Melody's smooth triangles macros! Server Time
25 Apr 2024 07:02:52 EDT (-0400)
  POVghanistan/POVEarth: now with Melody's smooth triangles macros!
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 6 Dec 2019 13:26:57
Message: <5dea9d71$1@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

I succeeded in implementing Melody's macros to my POVEarth/POVghanistan
script, so I can provide you with a first test rendering... but as
generating smooth triangles and consecutively entire mesh2 objects
entirely with POV-Ray SDL is abysmally sloooooooooow, I had to scale the
altitude data resolution from originally 3600 by 3600 down to 100 by 100
measuring points - and even this took 37 minutes. Generating the mesh2
in the original resolution would take a whopping 33.3 days!

This has to be accelerated, of course - and I'll do this by converting
both Melody's code for generating the normals and my code for generating
the mesh2 object to C or C++. When this works, I'll start generating
pre-calculated mesh2s from ASTER ASCII data tiles for the whole land
surface of Earth and provide them for download on my webspace! So
finally after 14 years (remember my posting from September 11, 2005?),
the POVEarth project starts to gain momentum...

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download '2019-12-06 povghanistan test render, 100x100 matrix.jpg' (28 KB)

Preview of image '2019-12-06 povghanistan test render, 100x100 matrix.jpg'
2019-12-06 povghanistan test render, 100x100 matrix.jpg