POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Legal question : Re: Legal question Server Time
23 Apr 2024 21:48:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Legal question
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 19 Nov 2019 10:20:31
Message: <5dd4083f$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/18/19 6:06 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 11/17/19 8:05 PM, Randi Olsen wrote:
>>
>> This is probably not the correct group for getting that information,
>> but if
>> someone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Randi O.
>>

> I know "POV-Ray" is a trademarked term(1) so I expect you should follow
> whatever rules there are for using other's trademarks for a start, but
> otherwise unsure. I've forwarded your question directly to the
> developers noting your question here.
>
> Bill P.
>
> (1) - Scroll to the very bottom of the http://www.povray.org/ main page.

OK. Got a little feedback. Mostly, there is no inclination to give any
non-lawyer written response which might corrupt the legal standing of
the current trademarks.

Unofficially, I'll offer the following summary of the feedback.

Follow TM practices as in, for example, using the term 'POV-Ray' with
the associated (TM) plain text or trademark symbol.

There is a wikipedia trademarks page and a web site was suggested in:
https://www.linuxfoundation.org/trademark-usage/

The trademarks of Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd. should be
used in a manner that is not misleading or confusing. See the link above
for good guidance there.

Lastly, my recollection is the list of trademarked terms are: 'POV-Ray',
'Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer', 'POV-Team', 'POVWIN' and 'povray'.

Bill P.