POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : POV-Ray Archaeology: Yet Another Chess Set, 1998-12-15 by Eric Freeman : Re: POV-Ray Archaeology: Yet Another Chess Set, 1998-12-15 byEricFreeman Server Time
23 Apr 2024 19:09:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Archaeology: Yet Another Chess Set, 1998-12-15 byEricFreeman
From: Alain Martel
Date: 16 Nov 2019 10:37:17
Message: <5dd017ad$1@news.povray.org>

> when you see 2 PPS .... lol
>
> Problem with long renderings, how many variations will you ever see?
> What I didnt see before, anything over 4x4 area_light is overkill, and produced
> more streaky shadows.
> area_light shadows seem slowest of anything one can do.
> my laptop is too slow for this stuff. I bet google could kick ass with their
> computers.

When using area_light you should always use adaptive.
The PRESENCE of adaptive turn the feature on. adaptive 0 DO NOT turn it off.

adaptive 0 start with 4 samples (2 by 2): One at each corners.
adaptive 1 start with 9 samples (3 by 3): Each corners plus one in the
middle of each side and the center.
adaptive 2 start with 25 samples (5 by 5), adaptive 3 with 81 (9 by 9),...

This allow you to use something like this :

area_light 3*x 3*z 1025 1025 adaptive 0

and still have reasonably quick renders with no discernible banding,
even without jitter.

If you use an area_light of 4x4 with jitter and antialiasing, then the
banding will disappears but your render time will greatly increase
because all pixels in the penumbra will get antialiased.