POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Future of missing "assume_gamma" : Re: Future of missing "assume_gamma" Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:22:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Future of missing "assume_gamma"
From: Alain Martel
Date: 4 Nov 2019 21:28:54
Message: <5dc0de66$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2019-11-03 à 10:00, Bald Eagle a écrit :

>>> My question is: Why will this become a fatal error, instead of just defaulting
>>> to 1.0?  It seems like most people would *want* there to be some sensible
>>> default, instead of breaking and having to add additional keywords to their
>>> scenes.  I know I would, anyway.
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Clipka/Gamma
>
> I doubt that it would be assigned to fatal error status, and instead have a
> default, and just issue a warning.
> As it is, you can have scenes with no light and no camera, and they still
> "render"...
>
> I think that after all of the hair-yanking, brain-hurting effort that's been put
> in over the years to get the gamma handling of POV-Ray onto solid footing, that
> clipka simply wants people to be cognizant that working with an assumed_gamma of
> 1.0 is the way to go, and all other scene "fixes" can be addressed by some other
> mechanism.
>
> I couldn't find the particular thread where he explains the many pitfalls of
> improperly using gamma != 1.0, but I can assure you that he has expostulated
> passionately and extensively on the topic.

It's impossible to not have a camera as there is a default one :
camera{location 0
direction z
up y
sky y
right x*image_width/image_height // was x*1.3 before 3.7
look_at z
}

A gamma different than 1 break any additive features : Partial
reflection, partial transparency, highlights, area illuminated by more
than one light, ...