POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Future of missing "assume_gamma" : Re: Future of missing "assume_gamma" Server Time
18 Apr 2024 14:43:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Future of missing "assume_gamma"
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 3 Nov 2019 06:14:06
Message: <5dbeb67e@news.povray.org>
Le 03/11/2019 à 07:07, Greg Kennedy a écrit :
> POV-Ray 3.7 gives this warning if you try to trace a scene without assumed_gamma
> set:
>
>>  Possible Parse Error: assumed_gamma not specified in this POV-Ray 3.7 or later
>>   scene. Future versions of POV-Ray may consider this a fatal error. To avoid
>>   this warning, explicitly specify 'assumed_gamma 1.0' in the global_settings
>>   section. See the documentation for more details.
>
> My question is: Why will this become a fatal error, instead of just defaulting
> to 1.0?  It seems like most people would *want* there to be some sensible
> default, instead of breaking and having to add additional keywords to their
> scenes.  I know I would, anyway.

Because... IIRC, scenes before modern era where rather with CRT gamma,
varying from 1.8 to 2.7; And it was wrong, physically, but it was the
usage and the design used that. So you cannot fix them automatically by
applying a 1.0 instead, or even a 2.4 everywhere.

And there is no way to guess the correct value.

What the message states is: for version 3.7 or greater, you should have
an assumed_gamma (and hopefully 1.0). Ulterior version of software might
consider that a 3.7 file without assumed_gamma is faulty. That's all.
Nothing more, nothing less.

It does not stop you from parsing 3.6, 3.5 or smaller version of a
scene. And then gamma handling is historical (and painful).

So, for 3.7+ scenes, take right now the habit of having an explicit
assumed_gamma, always.